Thursday, July 12, 2012

Struggling Readers- Upper Grades

Alison from Toad-ally Exceptional Learners is joining us to host Chapter 7- Struggling Readers in the Upper Grades. 



I wish had read this chapter back when I taught the upper grades...sigh. Isn't it hard to look back and think about all the things you could have done to help if only you'd had the time to read more, learn more, teach more. I think all teachers feel like this at some point. It's what makes us good teachers, that desire to be better. 



Chapter 7 Note Sheet


My AHA Moments-


Lori writes about teaching students how to read in the primary grades and teaching students to read to learn in the upper grades and this is how I have always thought of it. Now that I am looking back on my years as a Grade 7/8 teacher and am teaching primary I totally agree that all students still need to be taught how to read.


I also like how Lori mentioned several times (in both this chapter and the previous one) that guided reading can be done in the form of literature circles or independent reading. That really gives teacher sin the upper grades a lot of flexibility as to how they want to structure their program. On page 117, Lori talks about how everyone is a struggling reader at some point in their lives, depending on the material they are reading. I loved this because it is a point I often discussed with my students in the upper grades. There are texts that they could read fluently....text messages written in their "code" that I would have no idea what they were trying to say! They always liked that.


Once again I think Lori has provided a lot of food for thought with this chapter and I am really hoping that some UPPER GRADE TEACHERS  chime in on the discussion. I would love to hear your thoughts.




Don't forget to link up!



3 Brilliant Teaching Thoughts:

Jess said...

This is awesome to me! I teach 7th grade science {mainly}, but this year they asked me to teach a 7th grade "reading in science" class. Awesome, right? I'll use books like "Hoot" {Carl Hiaasen} and "Percy Jackson" to integrate science while motivating them with some great books!! In our district, reading instruction stops once they get to 7th grade.... and over 50% of the kids aren't at reading level. I am so excited to have the opportunity to teach this new class! :)

Homemade First Grade said...

I love your blog. It is so friendly. I am leaving you the versatile blogger award. You can get it at Homemade First Grade http://homemadefirstgrade.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great post, I like the idea of discussing a chapter you have read, prof.development on our own time. I am teaching grade five-reader's and writer's workshop. Just took an amazing class this summer and was told not to start lit circles until January. The book conversations are taught through an interactive read aloud. Wish me luck... Change is good :)

Post a Comment

Hello!!
Thank you taking the time to leave a comment.
I truly appreciate it.
Beth

 
Pin It button on image hover