Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Meet the Co-Hosts- Emmy Mac's Class*

Today's co-host feature is a fellow Canadian and Ontarian...whoo hoo!


I'm very excited to have another Canadian in the book study as I think it gives us more depth and perspective. Emily and I can speak to our experiences working within the Ontario Language Arts Curriculum and then we can all compare it with our American blogger friends and their ideas!

Beth: First and most important, coffee or tea?

Emily: TEA!!!! My favourite right now is English Breakfast tea. I actually had my first coffee in January. White Chocolate Mocha from Starbucks...surprisingly it was really good. But unfortunately I don't get up early enough in the morning to get to Starbucks.

Beth: Where is the world are you?

Emily: I'm originally from Cambridge, Ontario. (Only and hour and a half from me!!)

Beth: What grades and subjects do you teach?

Emily: I teach everything grade 1 except French and Music. I cannot sing...and am not musically talented at all. So it is good that someone else teaches them Music.

Beth: Tell us a bit about your blog.

Emily: My blog is a fairly new endeavour. It seemed like the next steps. I started my TPT store last April, Facebook page in November (I think). So the blog seemed like the next stepping stone. At this point my blog is a work in progress.

Beth: Tell us three interesting things about yourself.

Emily: hmmm....interesting? Let's see...
1. I have two little girls (8 and 6, well the one just turned 8 and the other one will be 6 in month) The number 24, 25, 26 run in my family.
2. I love crafts, knitting, sewing, cross stitch and embroidery but I've never learned how to crochet.
3. maybe not surprising since I sell on TPT but I find creating things for my classroom relaxing. I also have a clip art obsession.

Beth: This summer I really want to...

Emily: Relax and Spend time with my kids! This has been a stressful year. Our school had a huge renovation put on, that was suppose to be done in the fall. But of course it wasn't. We started the school year with the Kindie teachers teaching out of the intermediate classrooms. All the junior teachers in portables that they had just moved out of in June, and our intermediate students and teachers were bussed across town to a school that had been closed. The kindies got into their classrooms after the first week. The juniors moved in before Christmas but we didn't have a gym until the February. Do you remember how cold it was this winter? We couldn't even go outside for gym. QDPA in our classrooms for months on end. Not fun. So now that the construction is done I hope to relax and not think about school for at least a couple of days. :)

Beth: Why did you want to be a co-host for the 100 Minutes Book Study?

Emily: There are a couple of reasons. The obvious one is to improve my own practice as a teacher. I'm always looking for ways to make better use of my time. Different ideas/ways to teach my students. I think that's why I love TPT/Pinterest/Blogs so much because you can always find something new.
The other reason is I'm always looking for ways to become involved and get to know people better.

Beth: What should we check out in your TPT store?


Emily: Click here to visit Emily's store

I'm working on a math strategy product that I'm super excited about but it isn't ready yet. So my Personal Recount Unit. This is one of my favourites. It includes Learning Goals, Success Criteria, way for students to self and peer assess, checklists.

I guess that's it! Thanks so much for hosting Beth. I'm super excited.

Emily :)



0 Brilliant Teaching Thoughts:

Post a Comment

Hello!!
Thank you taking the time to leave a comment.
I truly appreciate it.
Beth

 
Pin It button on image hover