Wednesday, June 18, 2014

100 Minutes- My Thoughts on Chapter 7 "The Foundation of Independence"


Another amazing post and fabulous chapter.
Thanks to Brenda from Primary Inspired for hosting Chapter 7. 

A great friend of mine in transitioning from many years in Grade 6 to Grade 3 next year (hello Sonia!!) and as I read through this chapter my first thoughts were, 
"Yes!! Sonia is going to love this and wow will it really help!"

And of course I texted that to her right away!
Love you, Sonia. 


It's funny. A fellow teacher asked me how I ended up picking this book for the book study and it's strange. I hadn't seen it anywhere else, or read a review of it. While I was browsing the Pembroke Publishers website it stuck out for me, I asked one of the reps about it and thought it sounded good...and here we are.

Aren't you glad I happened across this book by chance? 

I sure am!

So on to my thoughts about the book. Here are some things that really stood out for me...
Reading and Writing Cycle

Throughout my reading of the book I've been a little concerned (but keeping it to myself) about the idea that students would do 2 days of a reading cycle and then 2 days of a writing cycle.

Would this mean that they wouldn't have 
independent reading or writing 
EVERYDAY? 

But upon reading through this chapter I have decided to let go of my concerns and when September comes to go with the outline of the 100 Minutes framework. Everything makes so much sense and I am ridiculously in love with the idea of intentional sequencing that I MUST give the framework a fair chance before I attempt any kind of adaptation.

On page 107 Lisa talk about the "triangulation of student data" which is  HUGE thing in my board right now.
Using observations, conversations and products to assess and evaluate our students is so important. I have found in recent years that I am much more comfortable with this type of assessment and have learned so much more about my students as learners.

One of my goals for the coming year is to have my students track a personal goal for their own writing. It's something that I have read a lot about and have really wanted to try but just haven't done yet. Silly me.

Stamina

A lot of this chapter reminded me of The Daily 5 and the importance of building stamina and practicing routines in order to set the stage for a successful literacy block. If you haven't read the chapters in The Daily 5 where the Sisters discuss the first days/weeks of the year and setting up your routines and developing the students' stamina- I recommend getting your hands on a copy and checking it out. 
So worthwhile.

If you're like me and have read it...then re-read it.
There is nothing more important than the first days/weeks of your literacy block.

Using Book Boxes

Lisa talks about giving your students some time to browse and select up to 6 books for their book boxes prior to starting your independent reading routine (page 111). This is something I haven't really tried before, book boxes I mean, and it something I really want to do this coming school year.
Starting Independent Reading First...
Then Independent Writing

In my class and in my experience, it's better to start reading first and get a routine somewhat established before starting independent writing. 
You may disagree and that's ok!
One of the best things about teaching is that we all have the opportunity to try it our own way.
Somethings I'm going to consider over the summer:

Writer's Notebooks? 
Artifact Box? 
Writing Inspiration Board?
Family survey- "What did you write today?" (weekly homework?)
Reading logs?
Genre challenge- when to start? how will my program fit in to the 100 Minutes framework

I'm going to end with my favourite quote from this chapter...

"When you invest time in establishing routines for independent reading and independent writing, students will understand that the work they do independently is just as important as the work they do when working directly with the teacher."
(Page 116)

What was your favourite part of this chapter?

Don't forget to link up with your post and
 thoughts on Chapter 7.





Emily from Emmy Mac's Class on June 21st.

Stay tuned for Chapter 8- Small Group Learning. 



Also...you really should head over to Learning with Mrs. Leeby and checkout the amazing giveaway she has going on.
I heard a little something about Tiffany earrings!!

Whoa!







1 Brilliant Teaching Thoughts:

Barton's Buzz said...

We wrote our writing goals on a cardstock key. I put the keys on a plastic coloured key ring. (They each had their own. They loved it!) The keys were a bit fussy to cut. I'm going to make a simpler key pattern for next year.
-Lisa
Grade 4 Buzz

Post a Comment

Hello!!
Thank you taking the time to leave a comment.
I truly appreciate it.
Beth

 
Pin It button on image hover